[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.211.180.70. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
July 1957

The Modern Treatment of Uveitis

Author Affiliations

Rochester, Minn.
Fellow in Ophthalmology, Mayo Foundation (Dr. Nielsen), and Section of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation (Dr. Kirby). The Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minn., is a part of the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota.

AMA Arch Ophthalmol. 1957;58(1):79-108. doi:10.1001/archopht.1957.00940010091009
Abstract

The diagnosis and modern treatment of uveitis are not simple matters, because, as all know who have seen and handled such cases, uveitis is one of the most difficult problems faced by ophthalmologists. However, the progress that has been made toward a more satisfactory rate of diagnosis has resulted in an increased efficacy of modern modes of treatment.

The key to rational and successful treatment lies in accurate diagnosis. The cause in most cases of uveitis has been obscure, and adequate criteria have not been brought forth to crystallize diagnosis, thus creating a great deal of pessimism. This attitude has reached such proportions that it is sometimes said that a cause is found in only 5% to 10% of cases of uveitis; the other 90% to 95% of cases remain unclassified, and, therefore, treatment must be empirical. In the light of recent discoveries and the crystallization of more accurate criteria,

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×