[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.145.213.148. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
September 1957

Acrylic Lenses in the Anterior ChamberExperimental Studies in Animal Eyes

Author Affiliations

Washington, D.C.; U.S. Army
From Georgetown University Medical Center (Dr. King); from the Ophthalmic Pathology Section, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (Lieut. Col. Skeehan).

AMA Arch Ophthalmol. 1957;58(3):392-395. doi:10.1001/archopht.1957.00940010404012
Abstract

The correction of certain refractive errors, either intrinsic or resulting from removal of the lens, by insertion of a plastic lenticulus within the eye has been attempted by several ophthalmic surgeons. The first to report the use of intraocular acrylic lenses after monocular cataract extractions was Ridley,1 in 1952. His purpose was to overcome the disadvantages of correcting the aphakic eye by spectacles, which include magnification of the image, distortion and displacement of images outside the optic center, and marked limitation of the fields of vision. He obtained binocular vision by inserting an intraocular lens behind the iris (Fig. 1A). The lens he used was made of polymethyl methacrylate, fashioned slightly smaller than the human lens. It was 8.35 mm. in diameter and 2.4 mm. in thickness; the radius of curvature of the anterior surface was approximately 9 mm., and that of the posterior surface was 5.3 mm.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×