This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The year 1963 marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the American Orthoptic Council. The first meeting was held on Oct 11, 1938. It was largely through the untiring efforts of Dr. LeGrand Hardy that the Council was organized. It originated as one of the interests of the Committee on Optics and Visual Physiology of the American Medical Association. When the Council was first organized in 1938, it was jointly sponsored by the Section on Ophthalmology of the American Medical Association, the American Ophthalmological Society, and the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. Later on, the American College of Surgeons became one of the sponsors, but in the past two years sponsorship of the Council has reverted to the original three major ophthalmological organizations.
The functions of the American Orthoptic Council are threefold. First, it sets up rules for the training of student orthoptic technicians, helps provide some of their training through
Cooper EL. American Orthoptic Council. Arch Ophthalmol. 1963;70(3):293. doi:10.1001/archopht.1963.00960050295002