This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The Registry of Ophthalmic Pathology did not begin as a Registry but rather as a central laboratory to which the Nation's ophthalmologists and pathologists could send enucleated globes for sectioning and evaluation. In 1921, when this central laboratory was established at the Army Medical Museum (the forerunner of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology), and for many years thereafter, there were few communities that had locally available a pathology laboratory with pathologists and technicians trained and willing to handle eyes. Since the end of World War II, interest in ophthalmic pathology has grown immensely, and ophthalmic pathology laboratories have been established in many medical schools and other institutions. There is now a sizeable pool of professional and technical personnel eager to do routine diagnostic work and to teach ophthalmic pathology. It is no longer necessary for ophthalmologists and pathologists all over the country to ship their specimens to Washington. More
Z. LE. Registry of Ophthalmic Pathology. Arch Ophthalmol. 1963;70(6):738. doi:10.1001/archopht.1963.00960050740002