Autokeratoplasty, with the graft transposed or rotated in the same eye, or transferred from the contralateral eye, is certainly not new. The initial efforts along these lines were made over 50 years ago. Plange, in 1908, was the first to report autokeratoplasty, using a lamellar graft from the fellow eye to replace cornea opaque from lime burns; and the graft was still clear five years later. Morax, in 1912, reported the transposition of clear cornea from the periphery to the central area; and Kraupa, in 1914, reported penetrating autokeratoplasty, the eccentric graft being cut and rotated in such a way as to bring clear peripheral cornea into the region of the pupillary space.
Many others have contributed to the problem over the years. Important among them was Friede, who worked extensively with rotating penetrating autografts. In his 1938 paper he commented upon the considerably higher degree of success, in terms
GUNDERSEN T, CALNAN AF. Corneal Autografts, Ipsilateral and Contralateral. Arch Ophthalmol. 1965;73(2):164-168. doi:10.1001/archopht.1965.00970030166005