[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 1966

A History of Ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania.

Arch Ophthalmol. 1966;75(4):585. doi:10.1001/archopht.1966.00970050587035

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

This is primarily the story of the Eye Department of the University of Pennsylvania, but the authors have done much more than simply recount its history. Starting with Benjamin Franklin and Philip Physick, they have traced the evolution of ophthalmology as a specialty in medicine from the earliest beginnings in Philadelphia, and by emphasizing the progress made in ophthalmology over the last 200 years, they give an excellent picture of both the practice and the science in the United States.

One gets the impression that somewhat more difficulty was encountered in establishing ophthalmology as an accepted specialty in Philadelphia than in some other American cities, so that it was a highly significant milestone when William F. Norris was appointed the first professor of ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania in 1870. It is remarkable that in the 95 years of its existence there have been only five professors. These have

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×