[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.146.176.30. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 1979

Ocular Injuries From Exploding Beverage Bottles

Author Affiliations

Petah Tiqvah, Israel

Arch Ophthalmol. 1979;97(8):1544. doi:10.1001/archopht.1979.01020020194030

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

To the Editor.  —I published, with some associates, an article in Harefuah (95:69, 1978) describing 24 patients who were hospitalized during the years 1975 through 1977 because of ocular injuries from exploding beverage bottles as described by Mondino et al in the November issue of the Archives (96:2040-2041, 1978).The cork of the bottle produced 80% of the injuries and glass fragments caused the other 20%. Nearly 25% of the injured eyes became blind and another 13% lost a considerable amount of vision. We found that the main cause of the explosion is the high pressure within the bottle (we measured in a 1-L bottle a pressure of 8 atm). This pressure increases when the bottles are in hot outside temperatures and with agitation and transportation of the bottles. Because of our findings, the factories in Israel changed the bottle cap to a soft ring.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×