[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 1983

Autogenous Dermis-Fat Orbital Implantation

Author Affiliations

From the Oculo-Plastic Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, New York.

Arch Ophthalmol. 1983;101(10):1586-1590. doi:10.1001/archopht.1983.01040020588018
Abstract

• We examined 52 consecutive patients who underwent autogenous dermis-fat implantation in anophthalmic sockets during the past five years. The results of the study show that 81% of the cases had no change in the volume of the graft during a mean follow-up period of 2½ years, ranging from a minimum of six months to a maximum of five years. The remaining 19% underwent graft resorption to a varying degree. We consider dermis-fat graft a procedure of choice in cases of extruded or migrated implants, an alternative to a synthetic allograft in primary enucleations, and a useful procedure in selected cases of enophthalmic and contracted socket.

×