[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.205.153.63. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 1986

NIH: An Account of Research in Its Laboratories and Clinics

Author Affiliations

Bethesda, Md

Arch Ophthalmol. 1986;104(10):1447. doi:10.1001/archopht.1986.01050220041020

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is a national treasure and no one is better qualified to select its chroniclers than its former deputy director of science, DeWitt Stetten, Jr, and his associate editor, W. T. Carrigan. The result is a compendium in which selected NIH investigators, both present and past, describe those studies at the Bethesda, Md, campus that have influenced the course of basic and clinical science. The debut of the NIH coincides approximately with the centennial of the founding of the NIH's predecessor, the Hygiene Laboratory on Staten Island, in 1837 (moved to downtown Washington, DC, in 1891), and with the hemicentennial of acquisition of the Bethesda campus in 1937. Reading the 26 sections provides an update on subjects that range from schizophrenia through neurosciences, nutrition, tissue culture, infectious diseases, virology, organic chemistry, developmental embryology, protein research, genetics, oncology, slow viruses, computers, cardiac surgery, and history. The

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×