This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Henderson's history of ophthalmology at the University of Michigan is a chronicle of the department's influential professors. The chapter headings compose the list. The first professor was the feisty George E. Frothingham. Appointed in 1872, he was the uncompromising defender of centralization for medical education in then-rural Ann Arbor, as opposed to those who favored movement to metropolitan Detroit. He was an eloquent and popular lecturer to medical students and a successful private practitioner in the local community. His adamant medicopolitical stands led him into many a controversy and recurrent offers to resign. Paradoxically, a final confrontation with the board of regents, on the position of homeopathy in the curriculum, led to his forced resignation and move to Detroit. He left "with few friends in Ann Arbor but a great deal of respect."
The second professor, appointed in 1889, was Flemming Carrow, a private practitioner from Bay City, Mich. Although
Cogan DG. The University of Michigan Department of Ophthalmology. Arch Ophthalmol. 1987;105(4):468. doi:10.1001/archopht.1987.01060040038022