[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.158.173.184. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Views 103
Citations 0
Observation
June 2016

Spontaneous Resolution of a Tracheoesophageal Fistula Caused by Button Battery Ingestion

Author Affiliations
  • 1Department of Pediatric Surgery “A”, Children Hospital Tunis, Tunis El Manar University, Tunisia
  • 2Department of Otorhinolaryngology Charles Nicolle Tunis, Tunis El Manar University, Tunisia
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016;142(6):609-610. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2016.1006

This observation reports a pediatric case of spontaneous resolution of tracheoesophageal fistula caused by button battery ingestion. Button battery ingestion in children is a common problem, and it can cause clinically significant morbidity and mortality. Complications including tracheoesophageal fistula are rare but serious if the battery is not removed early. Our purpose is to emphasize the importance of the conservative management prior to surgical intervention to allow possible spontaneous closure.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×