[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Citations 0
Clinical Problem Solving: Pathology
June 2009

Pathology Quiz Case 1: Diagnosis

Author Affiliations


Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;135(6):618-619. doi:10.1001/archoto.2009.41-b

Coccidioidomycosis, which is caused by Coccidioides immitisor Coccidioides posadasii, is a disease that affects both immunocompetent and immunocompromised individuals.1Infectious airborne spores known as arthroconidiaare inhaled by the host and reach the pulmonary alveoli. Approximately 60% of individuals with primary coccidioidomycosis are asymptomatic. Most of the remaining 40% experience mild to moderate symptoms within 7 to 21 days after inhalation of arthroconidia. Common symptoms include fever, cough, chest discomfort, headache, malaise, and fatigue.13Other pulmonary manifestations include pneumonia, pleural effusion, hilar lymphadenopathy, and lung nodules.1,2

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview