THE GLOMUS JUGULARE is considered as one of the nonchromaffin paraganglia. It is found as small conglomerates of cells in the dome of the jugular bulb, or along the fossa jugulare in the nerve of Jacobson, or in the nerve of Arnold.1 It was first described by Guild in 1941, who was impressed by the similarity of the structure of this organ with that of the carotid body, and named it "glomus jugularis." However, its existence had been mentioned as early as 1840 by Valentin who called it "gangliolum tympanicum" or "intumescentia gangliosa." The glomus jugulare is generally regarded as a chemoreceptor organ because of the similarity of its histologic structure with that of the carotid body and the cardio-aortic bodies, which have been proven physiologically to be chemoreceptors, that are innervated by the glosopharyngeal nerve.
The tumor that originates in the glomus jugulare was first described by Rosenwasser
González-Angulo A, Fería-Velasco A, Corvera J, Elias EY. Ultrastructure of the Glomus Jugulare Tumor. Arch Otolaryngol. 1968;87(1):12–21. doi:10.1001/archotol.1968.00760060014004