To the Editor.—I commend Keller and coworkers1 for their ingenuity and energy in investigating a problem case; even more, I appreciate their candor in publishing the article at all.
It has been said that "experience is the name we give to our mistakes." An adventure like the authors' is the kind of learning opportunity that is far better experienced vicariously than in person. Ironically, one of the otolaryngologists in my area recently had a similar tube fire, unfortunately causing a severe burn to the base of the patient's tongue. Had the article appeared prior to his case, he might have been able to prevent the fire or at least minimize the damage.
I learned about the local tube fire only because I mentioned the article to an anesthetist. This underscores the importance of such articles, and I hope that others will be encouraged to follow the example. In
GOODMAN RS. Electrodissection Tonsillectomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1992;118(12):1367. doi:10.1001/archotol.1992.01880120093021