Photographer: John K. Niparko, MD, Baltimore, Md. One of Washington, DC's most unusual landmarks is the plaza of the National Capitol Columns of the US National Arboretum. The columns were originally used as supports for the dome of the US Capitol Building in the mid-1800s. The columns were later removed as the Capitol dome appeared inadequately supported by the relatively narrow Corinthian columns. In the 1980s benefactor Ethel Garrett led the effort to find the permanent home for the columns where they are now, perched on a knoll overlooking the Ellipse Meadow of the National Arboretum. Dr Niparko is an assistant editor of the Archives of Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery.
Plaza of the National Capitol Columns of the US National Arboretum. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130(5):493. doi:10.1001/archotol.130.5.493