In the Sloane Hospital for Women, under Dr. William E. Studdiford's direction, a member of the staff of pediatrics was given the responsibility of caring for infants. When, in 1928, the Sloane Hospital for Women joined with other New York hospitals, including the Babies Hospital, in forming the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, closer cooperation between obstetrics and pediatrics was possible. Since that time the department of pediatrics has staffed the nurseries and taken care of the infants within the department of obstetrics.
The purpose of this paper is to give an account of the methods followed and the results obtained in the care of premature infants. The period chosen was exactly five years, extending from Sept. 1, 1929, to Aug. 31, 1934. During this time there were 10,163 consecutive births to mothers in the public wards. Three hundred and thirty, or 3.24 per cent, of the infants weighed 2,500 Gm. or
WILCOX DA. A STUDY OF THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY PREMATURE INFANTS. Am J Dis Child. 1936;52(4):848-862. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1936.04140040078007