This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This study was carried out on the entire children's service of the Fifth Avenue Hospital from June 11, 1931, until July 1, 1934. During this period 1,717 children were admitted to the pediatric department, which occupies the whole second floor of the building and contains sixty-three beds (fig. 1). Of these sixty-three beds, nine are in separate rooms, nineteen in cubiculized wards and thirty-five in open wards. Even in the open wards, the beds are 6½ feet (1.98 meters) apart and are separated by glass partitions 8 feet (2.4 meters) high. Both the partitions and the cubicles end 3¼ feet (0.99 meter) below the ceiling. The whole floor is divided into four equal units: two for the medical service, one for the surgical service and one for the outpatient department. As the same doctors and nurses were in direct communication with all four wings, which are connected with corridors, from
KERESZTURI C, HAUPTMAN D, PARK WH. VALUE OF CONVALESCENT SERUM FOR THE PREVENTION OF COMMON CONTAGIOUS DISEASES OF CHILDREN. Am J Dis Child. 1935;50(2):309-323. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1935.01970080003001