[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 1951

PYLORIC STENOSIS IN TWINS

Author Affiliations

CHICAGO
From the Departments of Surgery and Pediatrics, Michael Reese Hospital.

AMA Am J Dis Child. 1951;81(2):253-255. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1951.02040030262009
Abstract

Pyloric stenosis in both twins of a set occurs very rarely. When the stenosis is present in both infants, they are usually of the monovular type. Laubscher and Smith,1 in a review of the literature up to 1947, found only thirteen reported cases of monovular twins in whom pyloric stenosis had occurred. In eleven sets (84.6 per cent) both twins were affected. In the other two sets (15.4 per cent) one twin was affected. This rate of occurrence in both of a set of monovular twins is in marked contrast to the rate of occurrence in both twins when they are binovular in type. Of twenty-four sets of binovular twins reported by the same authors, pyloric stenosis occurred in both twins of only two sets (8.4 per cent), whereas in the remaining 22 sets (91.7 per cent) one of the twins was affected. It was Sheldon2 who first

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×