June 1951


Author Affiliations

From the Children's Medical Service, Bellevue Hospital and the Department of Pediatrics, New York University College of Medicine, Bellevue Medical Center.

AMA Am J Dis Child. 1951;81(6):798-800. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1951.02040030812007

ORAL ingestion of isopropyl alcohol is not unknown, and deaths due to its ingestion are occasionally encountered. A fair amount of investigation of the pharmacological properties of this aliphatic alcohol has been done in animals but clinical reports have not been forthcoming, and only one article1 has been encountered in the literature which reports cases of poisoning due to isopropyl alcohol.

During the past war the use of isopropyl alcohol instead of ethyl alcohol for certain medicinal purposes was begun. In addition to its use as disinfectant, it has been widely used as rubbing alcohol. Preparations for this purpose consist of 70 to 85 per cent isopropyl alcohol with a minute amount of perfume and the remainder water.

Both because of the paucity of literature on this subject and because of the unusual method of administration of the drug in this instance, it was thought advisable to publish this

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview