[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 1961

Acute Poisoning from Overdose of IsoniazidTwo Accidental Cases in Children Admitted to the Same Hospital on Successive Days

Author Affiliations

BAKERSFIELD, CALIF.
Herman W. Hyatt, Sr., M.D., 618 California Ave., Bakersfield, Calif.

Am J Dis Child. 1961;102(2):228-232. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1961.02080010230013
Abstract

The use of isonicotinic acid hydrazide in human tuberculosis was first reported by Selikoff et al. in 1952.1 Today, isonicotinic acid hydrazide (isoniazid) is used widely as an effective antituberculous drug. It would seem inevitable that its accidental ingestion should occur. Yet search of the English literature reveals only 2 previous reports of acute poisoning in infants due to isoniazid.2-3

Report of Cases  Case 1.—History.—A 25-month-old Mexican boy had been receiving isoniazid and para-amino-salicylic acid since June 25, 1959, when a diagnosis of primary tuberculosis had been made.Around noon on March 19, 1960, the mother put the patient in his crib, gave him his bottle and went outside to hang up the wash. Some isoniazid tablets were left on a dresser near the crib. Apparently by pulling the dresser scarf, the patient reached the tablets and ate approximately 18 (100 mg.) tablets. The mother, returning

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×