[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.175.236. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 1968

Acute Diphenylhydantoin Intoxication

Author Affiliations

Seattle
From the departments of medicine (Drs. Tenckhoff and Sherrard) and pediatrics (Drs. Hickman and Ladda), University of Washington, Seattle.

Am J Dis Child. 1968;116(4):422-425. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1968.02100020426015
Abstract

DIPHENYLHYDANTOIN (Dilantin), the most commonly used anticonvulsant, has a remarkable safety record.1 As much as 25 gm of the drug has been ingested (18-year-old epileptic girl) without major ill effects or serious sequelae.2 Whereas mild toxic reactions, usually from chronic overdosage, are fairly common, serious intoxications are infrequent. Apart from fatalities due to hypersensitivity reactions, a search of the literature revealed only three reported deaths from intoxication and central nervous system (CNS) depression.3-5 Taking into consideration that many actual incidents of drug reaction are not reported,6 it is likely that many more patients have died from diphenylhydantoin intoxication.

In 1966 a fatal case of diphenylhydantoin poisoning was reported from this hospital.5 Recently we had the opportunity to observe another child with serious intoxication. After three days in coma with decerebrate rigidity, the child was transferred to the University Hospital. We are reporting this case because of

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×