[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
June 1973

Fatal Poisoning From Salt Used as an Emetic

Author Affiliations

From the Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston.

Am J Dis Child. 1973;125(6):889-890. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1973.04160060087020

A 3-year-old boy was given salt as an emetic and later received gastric lavage with a saline solution following accidental ingestion of aspirin. He became comatose and laboratory values revealed severe hypernatremia and hyperchloremia. He died despite therapy with fluids, peritoneal dialysis, and mechanical ventilation.