[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
December 1976

Anaphylactic Shock

Author Affiliations

20555 Prospect Rd Cupertino, CA 95014

Am J Dis Child. 1976;130(12):1376. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1976.02120130082020

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.


Sir.—I found the article "Anaphylactic Shock Following Banana Ingestion" by Drs Linaweaver, Saks, and Heiner (Am J Dis Child 130:207, 1976) very interesting. There has been much discussion among the immunologists and allergists regarding scratch testing for foods. My father, who helped Dr W. W. Duke pioneer the field of allergy in the Midwest, used scratch tests for many years. I have used them since the 1940s. Both of us have believed that they are accurate enough to be worth doing in an allergic work-up. Neither of us has thought that most patients can give a very good history of food allergy. I think it is strongly possible that your 15½-year-old girl had some sort of atopic reaction to the previously eaten banana. It is quite possible she may have been around a cat or some other allergen and thought her symptoms due to it. Perhaps her symptoms were

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview