Sir.—Aspiration of a foreign body is a frequent emergency in pediatrics. We herein describe a patient who aspirated a straight pin through a "sip-up" straw (a small straw accompanying popular boxed beverages).
Patient Report.—A 6-year-old boy was brought to the emergency room because he had "swallowed" a pin approximately two hours earlier. The boy had placed a straight pin in a sip-up straw. In attempting to expell the pin into the air, he took a deep inspiration and "swallowed" it instead. On physical examination, he was asymptomatic. Respirations were 22/min. He was in no respiratory distress. Chest roentgenogram revealed a straight pin lodged in the posterior basilar segment of the right lower lobe (Figure). The roentgenogram of the abdomen revealed no foreign body.
After two attempts at bronchoscopy, a thoracotomy through a posterior lateral incision was required. The pin was milked to the periphery of the lung, and
PRESS S, LETERMAN JG. Aspiration Through a 'Sip-Up' Straw. Am J Dis Child. 1986;140(11):1090-1091. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1986.02140250016002