[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.175.236. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 1990

Clonidine Poisoning in Children

Author Affiliations

West Virginia Poison Center West Virginia University School of Pharmacy 3110 MacCorkle Ave SE Charleston, WV 25304
Humana Hospital Greenbrier Valley PO Box 497 Ronceverte, WV 24970

Am J Dis Child. 1990;144(8):853-854. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1990.02150320015011
Abstract

Sir.—Clonidine hydrochloride is one of several medications that can produce serious toxicity in children with ingestion of only a small amount. We describe a 3-year-old child who ingested a single 0.2-mg clonidine hydrochloride tablet and developed coma, respiratory depression, and hypotension. This is the lowest dose reported to cause such profound toxicity in a young child.

Patient Report.—A 3-year-old boy ingested one of his grandmother's 0.2-mg clonidine hydrochloride (Catapres) tablets. Actual ingestion was not observed, but a single tablet placed on a table was missing. The child indicated he had eaten it. He was transported by ambulance to the local emergency department.

Approximately 1 hour after ingestion, the child was very lethargic and pale. His vital signs were as follows: heart rate, 76 beats per minute; respiratory rate, 8 to 10 per minute; and blood pressure, 100/80mm Hg. An intravenous line was placed and 5% dextrose in lactated

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×