This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This volume presents a miscellany of 32 papers read at the Third Scientific Symposium of the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation held in Boston in 1966. A list of the eight sections in which the editor has arranged the contributions may serve as an adequate index of content:
1. Genetics of Mental Retardation;
2. Problems of Neurogenesis;
3. Nutrition and the Development of Nervous Systems;
4. Deprivation Factors in Mental Retardation;
5. Biological Basis of Learning;
6. Operant Techniques in Mental Retardation;
7. Rehabilitation in Mental Retardation;
8. Physical Performances of the Mentally Retarded.
Authors include some of the most prominent individuals within their respective areas of research endeavor. Nevertheless, as the editor wisely acknowledges at the outset, a certain unevenness in the form and content of the various contributions could not be avoided.
The Kennedy Foundation deserves special commendation for the enlarged scope
Bolian GC. Expanding Concepts in Mental Retardation: A Symposium.. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1969;21(2):253. doi:10.1001/archpsyc.1969.01740200125023