UNTIL THE mid-1960s, many hospitals in the southern part of our country were segregated. Integration was really only accomplished after the Supreme Court mandate in 1964. Barnes Hospital–Washington University Medical Center (St Louis, Mo) was no exception. At Barnes, segregated wards disappeared, but there was relatively little incentive to fully integrate the hospital, emotionally as well as physically. That process changed dramatically as a result of a single interaction between a banker from Southern Illinois and Dr Eugene Bricker.
Jaffe BM. The Big Cut. Arch Surg. 2000;135(1):96. doi:10.1001/archsurg.135.1.96