Citations 0
February 2003

Division of Surgery, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia

Author Affiliations

Copyright 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved. Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.2003

Arch Surg. 2003;138(2):126. doi:10.1001/archsurg.138.2.126

FOR MUCH of the 19th century, the small population on the north side of Sydney Harbour remained isolated from the colonial metropolis on the south. The residents of the "North Shore" cut off by the harbor were thus many hours away from access to timely emergent medical care. A committee held the North Shore Pioneer Industrial Exhibition that along with donations from local wealthy landowners, raised £1200. In 1888, the North Shore Hospital opened its doors as a small 32-bed cottage hospital and has now served Sydney's North Shore population for over 114 years. The hospital was granted royal status by King Edward VII in 1902 and became the Royal North Shore Hospital. That same year, the hospital moved to its current location as a new, purpose-built, 48-bed general hospital. Located across the harbor away from the noise, smells, and filth of the city proper, it was seen to offer a healthier climate than the city hospitals of the time.1

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview