THE JOHNS Hopkins Hospital opened in 1889 out of the generosity, wisdom, and vision of a Quaker merchant who sought to create a university-based health center with the same mission of research, training, and excellent clinical care that characterizes academic health centers throughout the United States today. Throughout parts of 3 centuries, Johns Hopkins has established a tradition of training academic surgeons. In recent times, The Johns Hopkins Hospital has undergone great expansion and is presently the flagship of an organization that unites the faculty, physicians, and scientists of The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the faculty and health professionals of The Johns Hopkins Health System. The hospital has 1039 acute care beds and includes the Brady Urological Institute, the Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins Children's Center, and the Harry and Jeannette Weinberg Building (housing the Hopkins Comprehensive Cancer Center). Two other fully integrated hospitals, The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (a 331-bed community teaching hospital with a 20-bed regional burn center) and the Howard County General Hospital, participate in the Health System.
Watkins L, Cornwell III EE. Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. Arch Surg. 2003;138(3):239-240. doi:10.1001/archsurg.138.3.239