[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.166.74.94. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Citations 0
Commentary
December 1, 2003

The University of Michigan

Arch Surg. 2003;138(12):1282. doi:10.1001/archsurg.138.12.1282

IN JANUARY 1837, Michigan was formally admitted to the Union by an act of Congress, and the state legislature, on March 18th, passed an act establishing the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The University initially consisted of 3 departments: literature, science, and arts, law, and medicine. The surgical faculty at the University of Michigan was formally established in October 1850 and from its inception differed from all others. Faculty members were paid salaries as professors of the University. Research and education, in addition to clinical practice, were recognized and valued from the beginning. For more than a century and a half, the Department of Surgery at the University of Michigan has served both the state and the nation.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×