Following recommendations in the 1910 report by Abraham Flexner for improving the quality of education at medical schools throughout the United States, the Vanderbilt Medical School and Hospital moved to the main campus on the west side of Nashville in 1925. One objective of the move and reorganization was to create a closely knit institution, with the hospital, medical school, and research facilities all located under 1 roof. The medical library was to be located in the center to act as the nucleus, and the physicians' dining room was to serve all the full-time staff, clinical and preclinical, as well as the house staff. This would create a cohesive environment conducive to the easy exchange of ideas. The Vanderbilt Department of Surgery has evolved since 1925 in ways that reemphasize the founding mission to improve patient care by focusing on education, patient care, and research.
Beauchamp RD. Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn. Arch Surg. 2004;139(8):814–815. doi:10.1001/archsurg.139.8.814