[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.166.89.187. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Citations 0
Commentary
January 01, 2006

The Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis

Arch Surg. 2006;141(1):11-12. doi:10.1001/archsurg.141.1.11

In 1867, in his third-floor office on the south side of Indianapolis, John Stough Bobbs, MD, performed the first recorded operation on a gallbladder, removing gallstones in a 31-year-old woman who had symptoms for 4 years. Little did he know he was starting the surgical tradition of what eventually became the Indiana University (IU) School of Medicine and the Department of Surgery. Medical education in Indiana was made up of multiple proprietary schools spread throughout the state. In 1869, Dr Bobbs was joined by William Fletcher, MD, and together they opened the Indiana Medical College of Indianapolis. During the next 25 years, all of the smaller medical colleges in the state joined together, and with IU, formed a single medical school. In 1903, IU School of Medicine was officially opened.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×