The opportunity to develop a new department of surgery in a brand new medical school occurs rarely. Five general surgeons, 1 neurosurgeon, and 1 cardiothoracic surgeon from the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis), with 1 additional general surgeon from the Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minn), were afforded this enviable chance in the late 1960s. They were joined by 1 orthopaedic surgeon from the Air Force. With the exception of the cardiothoracic surgeon, the group remained essentially intact until the final retirement of the last member in 2001.
McFee AS, Aust JB. University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Arch Surg. 2005;140(6):526-528. doi:10.1001/archsurg.140.6.526