[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.204.161.30. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1948

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY IN THE ARMY AIR FORCES DURING WORLD WAR IIII. Recurrent Dislocation of the Shoulder and Ununited Fractures of the Carpal Scaphoid

Author Affiliations

LOS ANGELES; MEMPHIS, TENN.; COLUMBUS, OHIO; WILMINGTON, DEL.
This has been prepared for publication by the Orthopaedic History Committee of the Office of the Air Surgeon (Major James V. Luck, Medical Corps, Chairman, Chanute Field, Ill.; Major Hugh M. A. Smith, Medical Corps, Santa Ana Army Air Base, Calif.; and Lieutenant Colonel Henry B. Lacey, Medical Corps, Hamilton Field, Calif.) and the Senior Orthopaedic Consultant of the Office of the Air Surgeon, Colonel Alfred R. Shands Jr., Medical Corps, Headquarters Army Air Forces, Washington, D. C. It is a publication of the Surgical Branch of the Professional Division, Office of the Air Surgeon, Headquarters Army Air Forces, Washington, D. C.

Arch Surg. 1948;57(6):801-817. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1948.01240020811004
Abstract

RECURRENT DISLOCATION OF THE SHOULDER  THE WAR years added greatly to the knowledge of recurrent dislocations of the shoulder. In the regional hospitals in the zone of interior, dislocations of the shoulder represented a foremost orthopedic problem.A large number and variety of operations were carried out to correct recurrent dislocations of the shoulder in soldiers. The numerous cases seen in regional hospitals led Shands1 to state, "The frequency with which recurrent dislocations are being observed in the army is certainly an indication that something is wrong with what is considered orthodox treatment of the original dislocation."A total of 175 cases of recurrent dislocation will be analyzed in this report. Of this group of cases, in 130, or 74 per cent, the dislocation had existed prior to service (E. P. T. S.). In the remaining 45 cases, or 26 per cent, the original dislocations were incurred in line

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×