THE FIRST continuous conduction nerve block anesthesia performed through an indwelling catheter was instituted by Eugene Aburel, of Rumania, in the clinic of Professor V. LeLorier and reported to the Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Paris in 1930.1 Aburel inserted a 14 cm. needle to the left of the vertebral column just anterior to the lumboaortic nerve plexus. Through this needle he introduced a fine elastic silk catheter which remained in place after the withdrawal of the needle. Thus was developed the technic for serial or continuous aortic anesthesia.
In 1935 Love2 reported the use of an indwelling ureteral catheter for continuous subarachnoid drainage for meningitis. He introduced a no. 4 or no. 5 French catheter through a 13 gage Barker needle. This technic was next utilized in the United States in 1941 by Manalan,3 of the University of Indiana, for the introduction of an indwelling
DAVIDSON HH, HINGSON RA, HELLMAN LM. USE OF VARIOUS PLASTIC CATHETERS IN THE SUBARACHNOID AND PERIDURAL SPACES. AMA Arch Surg. 1951;62(4):540-547. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1951.01250030548012