[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.145.176.252. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1954

SPLENOSISReview and Report of Subcutaneous Splenic Implant

Author Affiliations

MEDICAL CORPS, UNITED STATES ARMY
From the Surgical Service of Sinai Hospital, Baltimore.; Surgeon, Aberdeen Proving Ground Hospital; formerly Assistant Surgical Resident, Sinai Hospital.

AMA Arch Surg. 1954;69(6):777-784. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1954.01270060019004
Abstract

SPLENOSIS has been defined as autotransplantation of splenic tissue in the abdominal cavity following splenectomy or injury. Buchbinder and Lipkoff3 proposed the term while reporting a case.

The first human case was reported by Albrecht1 in 1896 and the second by Schilling31 in 1907. It is of interest that these two are the only cases in the entire literature with no history of splenectomy or trauma. These authors, and Küttner,20 who reported the third case in 1910, believed the peritoneal nodules to be accessory spleens. Albrecht's and Schilling's cases had adhesions around the diminutive main spleen, atrophy of the left kidney, and an irregularly shaped omentum. Albrecht postulated an intrauterine disturbance of the anlage of the organs in the left upper quadrant. Faltin,7 reporting a case in 1911, was the first to believe that the nodules were splenic implants. Gill,9 in 1944, reported the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×