January 1962

Adherent Synthetic Resins in Experimental Arterial Surgery

Author Affiliations

From the Department of Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, and the Departments of Surgery and Neurosurgery, the New England Center Hospital.; Associate Professor of Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine; Surgeon, New England Center Hospital (Dr. Callow); Surgeon-in-Chief, New England Center Hospital; Professor and Chairman of Department of Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine (Dr. Deterling); Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, New England Center Hospital, and former Research Fellow, Massachusetts Heart Association (Dr. Dehghan); former Resident in Neurosurgery, New England Center Hospital (Dr. Ronis); Professor of Neurosurgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, Neurosurgeon-in-Chief, New England Center Hospital (Dr. Selverstone).

Arch Surg. 1962;84(1):80-84. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1962.01300190084011

The use of adherent plastics for reinforcement of the walls of intracranial aneurysms was first suggested by one of us (B.S.), and the technique developed and reported by Selverstone and Ronis (1958).1 Since that time, the method has been used clinically for treatment of aneurysms of the circle of Willis and its branches by Selverstone in 15 cases, and, experimentally, in 5 cases for reinforcement in the course of surgery of the great vessels by Callow, Rheinlander,2 and Deterling at the New England Center Hospital. This report describes certain preliminary studies which were undertaken before clinical use, and further experimental studies which have been done with a view to the wider application of the technique in arterial surgery. The uses at present contemplated for the technique include the reinforcement of aneurysms which are unsuitable for resection; the reinforcement of junctions after arterial suture, or auto-, homo-, or allograft,

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview