March 1967

Intragastric Photography: Gastrocamera With Fiberscope

Author Affiliations

Niigata, Japan; Madison, Wis; Sheboygan, Wis
From the Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata (Drs. Hara, Tobita, Tsunoda, Sugiyama, and Arakawa); the Division of Clinical Oncology, University Hospitals, Madison (Dr. Ansfield); and the Section of Surgery, Sheboygan Clinic, Sheboygan (Dr. Hoon).

Arch Surg. 1967;94(3):337-343. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1967.01330090031008

WITH THE gastrocamera, in use since 1950 in Japan, the diagnosis of stomach lesions by photography has reached a high degree of development. In April 1964, a new intragastric diagnostic device, combining the gastrocamera and a high-quality fiberscope, was introduced in Japan. This instrument was developed by the Japan Endoscopic Society under the direction of Dr. S. Tasaka with the technical assistance of engineers of the Olympus Optical Company of Tokyo.1-3

In the period April 1964 through October 1965 a research group in the Niigata Cancer Center has performed over 1,000 examinations with the gastrocamera with fiberscope (GTF). In the United States the device is in operation at Columbia University, the University of Wisconsin, and since September 1965, at the Sheboygan Clinic, Sheboygan, Wis. Introduction at other institutions is now progressing.

Intragastric photography with the gastrocamera was first established in the United States by Hara at the University of

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview