[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
June 1968

Ingested Table Fork

Author Affiliations

Athens, Greece
From the Third Surgical Service, Evangelismos Medical Center, Athens, Greece.

Arch Surg. 1968;96(6):929-930. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1968.01330240075016
Abstract

INGESTED FOREIGN BODIES are a common occurrence. Pediatric and psychiatric centers particularly have entire collections of them. This report concerns a case which is very unusual because of the size of the foreign body and the manner of its ingestion.

Report of a Case  A 24-year-old woman in perfect health was admitted urgently to the service because she had swallowed a table fork. This had occurred shortly before admission and after a heavy meal, while the patient was trying to trigger vomiting, using the handle of the fork to irritate her pharynx. While doing so she choked, made reflex swallowing motions, and suddenly the fork slipped from her hand and slid down the esophagus.On admission she was terrified but otherwise quiet. Her only symptom was mild pain in the epigastrium. The physical examination elicited no abnormal signs.Radiographs were taken and showed the fork stuck with its narrow neck

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×