[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 1969

Importance of Requirements to Produce Minimal Risk Plasma

Author Affiliations

Palo Alto, Calif
From the Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, Calif.

Arch Surg. 1969;98(5):558-565. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1969.01340110050002
Abstract

The report by Redeker et al1 stated that 12 cases of serum hepatitis developed among 120 recipients of commercially prepared pooled plasma. Four of these were clinically icteric and eight were not, giving an attack rate for icteric hepatitis of 3%, and for nonicteric hepatitis, 7%—a total of 10%. There were elevations of transaminase values (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase [SGOT], serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase [SGPT]) in all 12 patients, occurring within proper periods of incubation for serum hepatitis. Needle biopsies were performed upon the 12, and the diagnosis was confirmed pathologically. On the basis of this report, the National Research Council's Committee on Plasma and Plasma Substitutes2 concluded that heat treatment of plasma was ineffective in preventing serum hepatitis. Thereupon, they hastily recommended the discontinuance of the commercial production of plasma and by legal implication, the private production as well.

This experience however, appears to be unique

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×