[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 1969

The Muscle Guard for Mitral Valve Prostheses

Author Affiliations

Los Angeles
From the Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, University of Southern California School of Medicine and the Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center, and St. Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles.

Arch Surg. 1969;98(5):626-628. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1969.01340110118013
Abstract

In 1964, experimental work was performed in the laboratory on the use of disc valves for mitral and tricuspid valve replacement. The reason for this interest in the disc valve was that in some patients with a small ventricular cavity, thrombosis of the ball valve prothesis occurred.1 It was hoped that the low profile valve would significantly decrease this complication of valve thrombosis as well as the incidence of peripheral embolization. Forty-four patients were discharged home with this early disc valve. These disc valves with a large amount of exposed metal and without a muscle guard were inserted into the mitral area from September 1965, to April 1967. There were six patients with peripheral emboli in this group for an incidence of 14%. One patient died ten months following insertion of the valve, with thrombosis of the valve the etiologic factor. At the time of death, there was pronounced

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×