[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other
August 1920

AN ANALYSIS OF CASES ADMITTED TO THE NEUROPSYCHIATRIC SERVICES OF U. S. ARMY GENERAL HOSPITAL NO. 1 (COLUMBIA WAR HOSPITAL, NEW YORK)

Arch NeurPsych. 1920;4(2):191-197. doi:10.1001/archneurpsyc.1920.02180200056007
Abstract

On Nov. 22, 1918, Ward 55 of the U. S. Army General Hospital No. 1, was opened for the reception of neuropsychiatric patients arriving at the Port of Embarkation, Hoboken, N. J., from overseas and also for such cases as developed in the hospitals under the jurisdiction of this port. This had formerly been the Messiah Home and had been maintained for the care of children. It was leased from the directors of the Home by the Knights of Columbus and turned over to the War Department at a charge of $1.00 per year. The general construction was so good that with but a few alterations it was readily adapted for the class of patients with which we had to deal.

The building contained five wards, two of which were devoted to the frank psychoses, one for disturbed patients and the other for quiet, depressed ones. The remaining wards were

×