Our purpose in the present communication is to place on record the first case of interstitial hypertrophic neuritis diagnosed among 138,213 patients admitted to the University Hospitals during ten years, from 1926 to 1936. The diagnosis was confirmed by histologic examination of a portion of an affected nerve removed for biopsy. In addition, the case is of interest because of the presence of bilateral papilledema, the history of one remission and the high total protein content of the cerebrospinal fluid.
Interstitial hypertrophic neuritis was first described by Dejerine and Sottas.1 The symptoms and signs observed by them included miosis, the Argyll Robertson pupil, lightning pains in the extremities, motor ataxia, fibrillary twitchings, nystagmus and general muscular atrophy. There was absence of intention tremor, scanning speech and exophthalmos. The onset of the disease was usually in infancy or early adulthood. In contradistinction to the preceding syndrome, Marie2 and Boveri