[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other
February 1958

Electromyography in Herniated Lumbar Disks

Author Affiliations

U. S. A. F.; San Antonio, Texas

From the Neurosurgical and Physical Medicine Services of the U. S. Air Force Hospital, Lackland Air Force Base.

AMA Arch NeurPsych. 1958;79(2):142-145. doi:10.1001/archneurpsyc.1958.02340020022005
Abstract

The value of electromyography in the localization of lower motor neuron lesions has been well demonstrated.7,8,17 However, there has been very little written about its usefulness in protruded lumbar disk suspects. The most widely used test in the localization of protruded lumbar disks is oil myelography. A number of large series of cases of myelography in surgically verified protruded lumbar disks show the accuracy of the method to be 70% to 90%.4,5,11,15 This leaves a group of 10% to 30% of patients with surgically verified protruded lumbar disks which are not localized by myelography. While diskography is being used in this group,2,6,12,13 there are those who object to its use, mainly on the basis of possible damage to a normal disk. In addition, some surgeons prefer not to introduce a foreign substance into the subarachnoid space, and so attempt to localize the protrusion on the basis of

×