[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
September 7, 1935

Miscellany

JAMA. 1935;105(10):824-827. doi:10.1001/jama.1935.02760360072040

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

ANTEPARTUM GROUP INSTRUCTION  RICHARD A. BOLT, M.D., DR.P.H. Director, Cleveland Child Health Association and ELLA GEIB Secretary to Director ClevelandAntepartum group instruction in Cleveland was initiated in 1922 by Mrs. Ellen D. Nicely, R.N., Nurse Director of Clinics, in the University Public Health Nursing District. The time of groups of mothers, awaiting their turn to interview the doctor in the clinic, was occupied in listening to the nurse as she explained in simple language matters of hygiene, nutrition, clothing and infant care.The program was developed further under the Cleveland Health Council, and when its value had been demonstrated it was taken over by Maternity Hospital in 1929. This made possible the extension of group instruction in the eight maternity dispensaries throughout the city and in three other hospital clinics. Owing to contraction of funds in 1932, the Maternity Hospital was unable to continue the program. It then came

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×