A Minnesota phlebotomist who acquired an on-the-job Salmonella infection offers a cautionary tale reminding health professionals to use proven infection control measures.
The phlebotomist had drawn blood from 2 patients hospitalized last January for dehydration. Both patients had Salmonella I 4,12:i:1,2 infections that were part of a multistate outbreak traced to frozen mice purchased to feed snakes. The phlebotomist reported using gloves while drawing blood and hadn’t had contact with feeder mice.
Health Worker’s Rare Occupational Infection Serves as a Warning. JAMA. 2013;310(7):683. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.135334
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: