Six Campylobacter jejuni infections in patients who resided in 3 states formed the United States’ first multistate outbreak of campylobacteriosis linked with consumption of chicken livers.
The first 3 cases were identified in October 2012 in Vermont: a worker at a poultry manufacturer and 2 patrons of the same restaurant who dined on chicken liver mousse and rabbit. A fourth patient in Vermont had eaten pan-fried chicken livers at a different restaurant. The fifth patient bought raw chicken livers at a New Hampshire grocery store and cooked them at home for family members, including one from New York who became the sixth outbreak patient.
First of Its Kind Outbreak From Undercooked Chicken Livers. JAMA. 2013;310(24):2607. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.284157
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: