A chicken, sausage, and rice dish known as perlo was implicated in a July 2012 outbreak of staphylococcal food poisoning that sickened 22 people attending a lunch party at a military base.
The dish was prepared the night before the party and stored overnight in an unheated oven. It was reheated the next morning for 1 hour in a slow cooker before being served. Food preparers hadn’t worn gloves while they cooked and served the food.
Within 2 to 3 hours after the party, 13 people who attended sought emergency care at the base hospital for gastrointestinal illness. One patient was transferred to a local civilian hospital. Of 35 attendees who were interviewed after the party as part of an immediate public health investigation, 22 had symptoms of gastrointestinal illness.
“Perlo” Causes Food Poisoning at Military Base Luncheon. JAMA. 2014;311(6):566. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.238
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: