[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 27, 1910

POISONING FROM BITES OF COPPERHEAD SNAKES (ANCISTRODON CONTORTRIX)

JAMA. 1910;55(9):770-772. doi:10.1001/jama.1910.04330090044013
Abstract

Recently, through the courtesy of Dr. George Tully Vaughan, I saw in a ward of the Georgetown University Hospital the following case of poisoning from the bite of a copperhead:

The patient, a boy aged 13, had been playing under a bridge, and on reaching up to one of the timber supports felt a sharp stinging pain in the index finger of his left hand. No snake was seen. The hand began to swell rapidly and the boy hastened home and was then taken to see a physician, who diagnosed the case as one of snake-bite, placed a ligature around the forearm and finger, and advised that the boy be hurried to a hospital in Washington. This was done and the boy reached Washington from an adjoining state late in the afternoon of the day on which the injury was received. At this time the child was in a condition of

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×