[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 16, 1918

OPEN SAFETY PIN IN AN INFANT'S STOMACH

Author Affiliations

Cincinnati

JAMA. 1918;70(7):480-481. doi:10.1001/jama.1918.02600070054023

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

To the Editor:  —The report of an open safety pin in an infant's stomach in The Journal, Dec. 22, 1917, might lead to the impression that an operation is always necessary in such cases. I therefore report the case of an 8 months old baby who swallowed a 1½ inch open safety pin, November 21, about 2 p. m., and later passed it. Roentgenograms taken at the request of the attending physician, Dr. Corliss Keller of Hamilton, Ohio, showed the pin to be in the stomach. Thirty-six hours later the pin was in the same position, and as the separation of the open ends of the pin, as shown in the roentgenogram, seemed to be considerably greater than the diameter of an infant's pylorus, I advised bringing the child to a hospital for operation. Several more pictures were made at the hospital, and at the end of fifty-two hours the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×